Crap load of vloggs I'm should have loaded awhile ago.

Crap load of vloggs I'm should have loaded awhile ago.

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

I Wan't my Hip-Hop Back and While We're At It...

The Birthers want their country back...fine and while we're at can we ask the same people who have some how managed to abscond an entire country if their the same people who took my Hip-Hop, my junk food, and the flash card with all my pictures from Europe on it (can't find that sucker anywhere). Is this massive malicious menagerie of masked nefarious near-do-wells responsible for Transformers 2 because if they are I want my movie ticket and the two hours I spent in the movie theater back and throw in that lame Wolverine movie too.



Lets' start with the Hip-Hop. You know I thought about blogging about this one for awhile but I was wrestling the the notion that maybe I was romanticizing the past. You know what I mean. Was I doing to rap in the 1990's what some white guys are still doing to America in the 1950's; remembering only the positive moments of a by gone era while glossing over negative ones. After all Hip-Hop in the 90's did have its ups and downs (Horror rap, Dj Scorpio, Vanilla Ice, ) but the Hip-Hop (I use that term loosely) that I hear on the radio sounds like only worst parts of rap and by that I mean the lowest common denominator as far as creativity is concerned has become the norm while more exceptional rap has become well...the exception. I swear to you it wasn't like that when I was in High school when you had rap music coming from almost every corner of the country. That includes the south by the way.





No I'm not in the anti Snap rap brigade (sorry Ghostface) though I have to admit I've been tempted to join. I heard enough of that brand working at my old in the after school program where we allowed the kids play their music. Some of was good but a lot of it with that "Ball with my white T" kind of rap style was grading on my ears. It was so formulaic and simplistic and I couldn't get down with it. I didn't want to admit it but Hip-Hop I knew was going the way of the Arsenio Hall Show; a one decade-only-bright-shining moment of brilliance (some not), creativity (some not), and most importantly rebellious (again some not). What happened? Where are the Public Enemies, EPMD's, the KRS-1's, the Special ED's. What about the Eric B's and Rakim's, Kool-G-Raps's, who's being inspired by them. Where are the NWA's (under a different name perhaps) MC 8's the West Side Connection's, who will pick up the mantle for them. I'm not looking for copy cats but heirs to the throne, descendants who have a similar sound. The Fugees, Jeru the Damaga (pronounced dah-meh-jah), the Heavy D's and the Kid n Play's where have they all gone?


As for the junk food. Is it me or have the powers that be; the same people who took the Birthers' America and my Hip-Hop taken the taste out my junk food too. The MSG, High Fructose Con syrup, the Trans Fats. All the shit that made the food what is was which is why we ate so much of it is gone. Only candy bars and Soda have yet to surrender their decadent die hard stance on being healthier kitty whipped versions of themselves. Just the other day I was eating Honey Nut Cheerios and even the sweet tasting cereal that served as a substitute has gone all whole grain. It doesn't' taste the same any more. Look I know we're trying to change but it wasn't just the food. It was our complete lack of discipline that was doing us in (still is). Our avarice for excess lead us to re-engineering our food so we could still consume it in the same mass quantities (We come from France; for those over 30) as we spend more time playing video games and surfing the web. Now my junk food has lost all its kick and the frontal lobe of my brain where the pleasure zone is (and every one else) no longer reacts the same way. I mean this...If the same shadow society that has stolen this country, my Hip-Hop, and my junk food comes anywhere near Krispy Kreme I'm moving to Canad with Stephen Baldwin.



As for my flash card well my bedroom needs some tidying up and that's usually when I find things I'm looking for so...its here somewhere.



Couple of things. I know there is good rap music out there now, Young Jeezy, Kanye West, Tanya Morgan, Marco Polo Torrae, Lupe Fiasco just to name a few.



Hey Rip don't take it personally.

No comments: